Last Sermon of Prophet (PBUH)
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) conveyed his last sermon (Khutbah) after his farewell pilgrimage on the ninth of Dhul Hijjah, 10 years after migration from Makkah to Medina in the Uranah Valley of mount Arafat.
The final sermon was not only a reminder to his followers, but also an important advice confirming that it was the end of his Prophetic Mission. There were a huge number of Muslims present with the Prophet during his last pilgrimage when he expressed his last oration. This Khutbah of the Prophet (PBUH) was protracted to surround as much guidance, advices and instructions concerning every issue that his Ummah could possibly face. His words were quite comprehensive and concise and were meant to serve as torchlight for the entire humanity.
The sermon of the Allah’s apostle (PBUH) was not only remarkable for its meaningfulness, but it contained a sublime message for the whole humanity. It was not only a declaration of human rights and moral values but also a charter of women rights. It’s a matter of pride for all the Muslims that the world has not been able to present better principles of ethics and morality than those declared by our beloved Prophet (PBUH).
Before beginning with his khutbah, the Prophet (PBUH) asked the people to pay close attention to all what he was about to say. He wanted his message conveyed to all mankind and to be spread to the entire world.
The important points of our Prophet’s khutbah can be summarized as:
- It is the duty of all Muslims present there to deliver the message of holy Prophet (PBUH) to everyone who is not present at the moment.
- All the Muslims are equal and no one is superior to another on the basis of cast or creed or color except on the basis of piety and religiousness.
- Not only men have certain rights on their women, women too have rights over men and every man should treat his woman with kindness and generosity for kindness is a virtue of high merit.
- A believer must never forget that he will one day be answerable to Allah Almighty for all his deeds so he should not be carried away by the Satan or let him take the lead over your conscience.
- There will be no prophet in the coming times. Muhammad (PBUH) is the last prophet of Allah and whoever claims himself to be the prophet of Allah is an impostor.
- No new faith will be born as Islam is the last religion and will remain till the end of world.
- Worship no one but Allah and always follow Prophet’s Sunnah to be successful in this life and the life hereafter.
- Never do injustice to your fellow humans and no Muslim is allowed to take interest of any kind.
- All Muslims are brothers to each other so never hurt anyone so that no one may hurt you.
These points are just a mere outline of the actual matter. Indeed, every word of this khutbah breathes a spirit of humanity and aims at establishing righteousness and fair dealing among men in all aspects of life. It establishes brotherhood among Muslims, no matter what caste or creed they belong to. It presents an outline of a social system that is perfectly free from oppression and injustice.